Monday, April 26, 2010

Chronic Nightmares

Lately, I've been having a lot of nightmares and I'm exactly sure why so I started to do some research. I started to look reasons why, and those are pretty boring but I found an interesting article on ABC on how to combat nightmares and I was intrigued.

Scientifically there is a difference between a bad dream and a nightmare: a nightmare wakes up in all sweaty panicked in the middle of the night, while a bad dream you remember in the morning, but you sleep the whole night through.

Since dreams are "emotional thermostats" (so says the article), bad dreams can be a good thing - bringing things to your attention that may have been hidden, but nightmares can be a sign of too much stress.

According to Ross Levin, a psychologist, if you have a recurring nightmare, the patient needs to relive the dream while they are awakes so that they can rescript it and hopefully change it forever.

For information on changing dreams and controlling your dreams, check out my post on lucid dreams.

I find this all very fascinating - the idea that you are in control of your dreams and thus, your subconscious to some degree.

1 comment:

  1. Informative blog. Nightmares are vividly realistic, disturbing dreams that rattle you awake from a deep sleep. Based on the scientifically here you have discussed the difference between the bad dreams and nightmares. Really this is a useful blog. Thanks for sharing. Apart from this article, I learned about hammerhead shark which is the largest of all hammerhead species.

    ReplyDelete