Friday, April 16, 2010

College Students and Lack of Sleep

I am tired. Exhausted even. I never get enough sleep and I know there are a couple thousand other people here who would agree with me.

So - I did a little research. According to the Journal of American College Health, college students typically miss at least the last two hours of REM sleep, which is "an important aspect of successful academic and personal life."

In this 2001 study conducted by Walter Buboltz, they found that 18% of men and 30% per cent of women reported insomnia in the past few months. I would put money on the fact that since the rise of smart phones, the Internet and other technologies that this statistic has gone up. I cannot count the number of times I stayed awake practically all night on my laptop or phone. Whoops.

Need a nap later. Preferably on the quad.

No comments:

Post a Comment