Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Poems

I have already spoke about some sleep and dream poetry, but here are a few more classics.

  1. Edgar Allan Poe: "A Dream Within A Dream"
    O God! can I not save
    One from the pitiless wave?
    Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?

  2. Paul Celan: "O Little Root of a Dream"
    O little root of a dream
    you hold me here
    undermined by blood,
    no longer visible to anyone,
    property of death.

    Curve a face
    that there may be speech, of earth,
    of ardor, of
    things with eyes, even
    here, where you read me blind,

    even
    here,
    where you
    refute me,
    to the letter.

  3. Robert Louis Stevenson: "The Land of Nod"
    From Breakfast on through all the day
    At home among my friends I stay,
    But every night I go abroad
    Afar into the land of Nod.

    All by myself I have to go,
    With none to tell me what to do--
    All alone beside the streams
    And up the mountain-sides of dreams.

    The strangest things are there for me,
    Both things to eat and things to see,
    And many frightening sights abroad
    Till morning in the land of Nod.

    Try as I like to find the way,
    I never can get back by day,
    Nor can remember plain and clear
    The curious music that I hear
Enjoy your poetry-cation.

Found on Poets.org

No comments:

Post a Comment