Monday, March 22, 2010

Snoring. (Part one of many)

I snore. I am not ashamed to admit it. Okay, I am a little. But, I can't help it, so it is someone else's problem. :) I have been known to make boat noises, snake noises, typical snoring noises, a loud breather, etc... The list goes on.

Today, I will look at the causes of snoring. I think we all know, but how about a recap.

Most typical reasons for snoring (according to the Mayo Clinic)
  • Mouth anatomy: a soft palate or enlarged tonsils increases snoring behaviors
  • Nasal problems: a crooked nasal partition or nasal blockage leads to snoring
  • Alcohol consumption: alcohol relaxes throat muscles and leads to snoring
  • Sleep apnea: a condition in which your throat tissues obstruct your airway; characterized by loud snoring and then a period of silence that can last 10 seconds or more (Very serious!)
Or a combination of any of the above.

On the next snoring blog, I will cover solutions to snoring. In the meantime, enjoy this video in which a baby sleeping next to a man gets scared due to the loud snores.

No comments:

Post a Comment